One of the things that N. sent me in the box along with the shirts was a T-shirt of AC Milan, also to get repurposed. N. was nice to me and didn’t want me to take the whole shirt, but to save the badges!
I have to confess that this one was difficult. First of all this material is intractable and unworkable! Hard to tame at infinity, and even made me feel I was back to the early days at my grandmother sewing machine! My sewing machine could not sew this material for nothing. Second problem was with the colors! They left me very concerned about choosing the right cut for the dress, because it’s ment to be wear by a little girl and the colors are very dark and black is dominant. I had had to keep in mind that the emblems were to maintain so I thought it would be nice to make a kind of a beach dress and the model with the 5-string braid seemed the best solution. I do not even remember the last time I did a braid with 5 strings!
The cut of the dress is actually very similar to the pillowcase dress, but the neck line is done slightly differently. I used 5 strips of fabric to make the braid, but as this material is not elastic I had to sew the stripes to form a sort of a tubes and turn them over, which was strenuous because this material did not cooperate even a little! But the dress ended up made and that’s what matters. The braid turned out to be slightly larger than would be necessary if it were made of jersey, because it is elastic and the child’s head has to go in there in order to wear the dress.
This is not the happiest material for this style of dress, in fact it should only serve for sport. But I liked the model and liked to see it dressed in my Teresa, and I think it worked even though it’s not one of the most beautiful fabrics I’ve worked with. This is one of those models that I might just sew again for my girls and for me! I’m already seing us walking on the beach with dresses alike! What a common place!